Wednesday 10 October 2012

New Booksies

From Netgalley I recently acquired The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa. I haven't read any books in this series and although this is a book five, it's also advertised as the first in a new trilogy, so I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a good entry point. I enjoyed Kagawa's The Immortal Rules and I've only heard good things about this series, so fingers crossed.



And from Penguin Australia, also via Netgalley, I got Falling Kingdoms by Canadian author Morgan Rhodes. It's YA epic fantasy, which isn't a flavour of YA that I have read much of, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it is and how it differs to adult epic fantasy.




And I also bought the (inaugural?) Humble eBook Bundle, containing eight SFF books (or six if you want to pay less than the average) in a pay what you want model with a fraction of proceeds (you choose how much) going to charity. The Humble Bundle people run these for bundles of indie (small company) games a lot and I think this is the first time they've done it with ebooks (and with reasonably big name authors as far as the SFF field is concerned).

I'm particularly interested in the Scalzi, Doctorow and Mercedes Lackey, the latter because I have yet to read any of her books and this is a good chance to fix that. And I've already bought and read Zoo City, but hey that just means one less file to drag into iTunes and my Kobo. (And if you're wondering, it doesn't count against the book buying ban because it's for charity. Yep.)

Books: Signal to Noise by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean (graphic novel), Old Man's War by John Scalzi, Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow, Pump Six by Paolo Bacigalupi (short stories)...

Books: ... Zoo City by Lauren Beukes, Invasion by Mercedes Lackey, Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link and Magic for Beginners also by Kelly Link.

2 comments:

  1. Hiyya! Awesome! I'm looking forward to both The Lost prince and Falling Kingdoms. Word of warning: The Lost Prince will contain MAJOR spoilers for the original Iron Fey series, reading the first four books would be largely pointless. Unless you're planning to not read the first four books, I'd strongly suggest holding off on The Lost Prince until you have read them.


    But this is just one opinion :D Also, I've never heard of this Humble Bundle thing. Sounds awesome *off to research it*


    Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I don't really have time for the earlier Iron Fey books so I don't mind being spoiled. If I really love it, I also don't mind reading while spoiled most of the time. At this stage, minimising the number of books added to my TBR is not a bad thing ;-)

    The Humble Bundle people do games things a lot. Hubby has bought many of them. I'm curious to see if the ebook version gets more common after this (which seems to be a resounding success from Scalzi and Doctorow's progress tweets).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.